Last night at rehearsal I was behind the console mixing for the Edge band and heard a bad sound. I spent some time working on the the drums after Mario setup his kit, replacing the church’s set. I just could not get the kick to sound right at all and then I remembered that John said that a sub might be blown. I took a walk to the stage left side of the building to hear a subwoofer barking out what sounded like a kick mallet hitting a broken drum head. The cone on the left side of the cabinet was shredded. I grab some tools and pulled the driver. Planned on calling the repair shop in the morning. When I got the speaker back to the booth I noticed that this speaker had been re-coned in 2000. I guess that it was just time.
I had a great plan when I got home last night and thought that it might be good to check all of the other sub speakers. Sometimes it is just better to not know. At the end of the day we found that six or our eight sub drivers were blown. This is just some of the fun when you are maintaining a 14 year old sound system. I have mixed feelings about this issue. On the one hand, it is frustrating to fix blown speakers and not work on making improvements to the services. On the other hand I have never been happy with with our subs and I have a little encouragement knowing that I have never heard all of the drivers kicking at once. Some of the drivers appear to have been down for sometime. So, there could be some light at the end of the weak sub tunnel.
Nya is taking the six speakers in for repair. We will not have them for this week and will have to rent some subs, but they will return for the following Sunday. I have to install and tune the rented 18 inch subs tomorrow.